Researching programs and their faculty members is extremely important in the application process. A student who knows about their chosen field will be more successful in applying to appropriate programs, and will present an application that demonstrates their knowledge and congruency of goals.
UW faculty members and graduate students are wonderful resources for information about graduate programs. They have all been through the application process and know the reputation of different programs. They may even know the faculty at other institutions. Faculty members can sometimes help students with evaluating their application and help them to find appropriate programs.
The internet also provides a wonderful opportunity to gain information about major fields and specific programs. There are two general ways to conduct an internet search. One is to look at large national or international associations, such as APA. These associations usually have advice for prospective graduate students and lists of programs.
The other way to conduct a search is to do a keyword search on PsychINFO for topics you are interested in studying. You can then investigate the authors of the articles you find and discover where they are teaching or researching. This is especially helpful if you are looking for a research-based program. It is best to contact the graduate programs directly to ask them about their philosophy and requirements.
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- APA Individual Divisions
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Council for the Accrediation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP)
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- Social Psychology Network
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- All Psychology Schools
- Guide to Graduate Programs in Forensic and Legal Psychology
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Association of Neuroscience Departments and Programs
- Sport and Performance Psychology Programs
- Washington State Association of School Psychology (WSASP)
Some helpful books:
The Insiders Guide for Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology - a good guide for individuals looking for doctoral (Ph.D. & Psy. D. ) programs across the United States.
Graduate Study in Psychology by the APA - a good guide for individuals looking for an overview of different research psychology graduate programs.