Frank Smoll, Ph.D.
Interests: Sport Psychology, Leadership Behavior in Youth Sports
|Do I accept and train new psychology graduate students in general?|
|Am I accepting new graduate students in the upcoming year?|
|I am NOT accepting graduate students in 2020-2021|
Over 45-million children and adolescents participate in community and school-sponsored athletics in the United States. That represents more than half of the young people in the 6-to-18 age range—an amazing number! Over that past three decades, my colleague (Dr. Ron Smith) and I have done research on the effects of sport competition on youngsters’ personal and social development. Our Youth Enrichment in Sports project is designed to develop, evaluate, and deliver educational programs for coaches and parents. The project initially involved development of Mastery Approach to Coaching (MAC) and Mastery Approach to Parenting in Sports workshops. The interventions were then tested in a series of field experiments and proven to have desirable effects. For example, the MAC workshop was shown to (a) promote higher mastery-oriented achievements goals in sports and in school, (b) foster positive coach-athlete relations, (c) increase the amount of fun that athletes experience, (d) create greater team cohesion and a more supportive athletic setting, (e) increase athletes’ self-esteem, (f) reduce performance-destroying anxiety and fear of failure, (g) reduce dropout rates from approximately 30% to 5%, and (h) produce equally positive effects on boys and girls teams. Given the success of our evidence-based interventions, we have entered the distribution phase of our work. This involved transforming the coach and parent workshops into videos and publishing “how to” books on the Mastery Approach. Additionally, in the course of the project, a large data set has been amassed that provides a basis for future research.
- Smoll, F. L., & Smith, R. E. (2017). Coaching young athletes: Sport psychology theory, research, and intervention. Indian Journal of Psychology, 92 (Special Issue, July), 126-139.
- Schwebel, F. J., Smith, R. E., & Smoll, F. L. (2016, March). Measurement of perceived success standards in sport and relations with athletes' self-esteem, performance anxiety, and achievement goal orientation: Comparing parental and coach influences. Child Development Research, Article ID 7056075.
- Smoll, F. L., & Smith, R. E. (2015). Conducting evidence based coach-training programs: A social-cognitive approach. In J. M. Williams & V. Krane (Eds.), Applied sport psychology: Personal growth to peak performance (7th ed., pp. 359-382). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Smith, R. E., Smoll, F. L., & Cumming, S. P. (2009). Motivational climate and changes in young athletes' achievement goal orientations. Motivation and Emotion, 33, 173-183.
- Smoll, F. L., Smith, R. E., & Cumming, S. P. (2007). Effects of a motivational climate intervention for coaches on changes in young athletes' achievement goal orientations. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 1, 23-46.
- Smoll, F.L., Smith, R.E., & Cumming, S.P. (2007, Summer). Effects of coach and parent training on performance anxiety in young athletes: A systemic approach. Journal of Youth Development, 2. Article 0701FA002. http://www.nae4ha.org/directory/index.html
In the News
- 11/15/2019 Frank Smoll discusses how youth sport parents can maintain marital bliss in this Psychology Today post
- 09/04/2019 Frank Smoll discusses parents as role models in youth sports in this Psychology Today post.
- 09/02/2019 Frank Smoll was interviewed for a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency article on creating a mastery climate in youth sports
- 06/03/2019 Frank Smoll discusses the over-justification hypothesis in this Psychology Today post.
- 05/24/2019 Frank Smoll contributed information on preventing child abuse to a video produced by the California Youth Soccer Association.
- 03/07/2019 Frank Smoll discusses the psychology of pregame meals in this Psychology Today post
- 02/21/2019 Frank Smoll was interviewed for a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency article on the coach-parent dynamic in youth sports.
- 12/17/2018 Frank Smoll discusses the dropout problem in youth sports in this Psychology Today post
- 07/16/2018 Frank Smoll cited in Vice Sports article: "The Rise of HS Basketball Highlight Reel Factories and the Impact on Students"
- 05/17/2017 Frank Smoll was quoted in a YahooSports article about over-involved parents.
- 02/28/2017 Congratulations to Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, who launched a website for dissemination of their empirically-based coach and parent training programs in video format.
- 11/21/2016 Sports Psychology of Ron Smith and Frank Smoll featured in Monitor of Psychology, November 2016 Issue. "Put Me in Coach: How to Spark Kids' Love of Sports"
- 05/14/2015 Frank Smoll explains how to be a true winner in a post at Psychology Today.
- 05/14/2015 KJR Sports Radio interviewed Frank Smoll about the Professionalization of Youth Sports.
- 04/06/2015 Frank Smoll reminds us when it comes to coaching your kids, it is important to remember it's only THEIR game.
- 10/08/2014 Frank Smoll talks about the benefits of good coaching -
- 09/10/2014 Frank Smoll was invited to conduct workshops for sport parents in a series of Innovative Adult Programs sponsored by the King County Library Systems.
- 02/26/2014 Frank Smoll was the guest of Psychology majors Loren Burnett and Tori Slaven at a Faculty Appreciation Banquet sponsored by Sigma Kappa Sorority.
- 11/27/2013 Frank Smoll was an invited speaker at the Aspen Institute's Project Play roundtable.
- 09/25/2013 Frank Smoll was interviewed for a ParentMap article about competition for kids.
- 09/05/2013 Frank Smoll was interviewed about the Mastery Approach to Coaching and Parenting by XTRA Sports Radio, Phoenix.
- 05/29/2013 Frank Smoll was interviewed for a Chicago Tribune article about quitting sports.
- 12/12/2012 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith were interviewed for a Star Ledger article about sport parents.
- 10/03/2012 On October 1, 2012 , the coaching-behavior research of Ron Smith and Frank Smoll was featured in the Chronicle of Evidence-Based Mentoring.
- 09/12/2012 Frank Smoll was interviewed for a Yakima Herald article on early talent identification in youth sports.
- 08/23/2012 During the Olympics, Frank Smoll was interviewed for an MSNBC story titled "Olympic Sprinter Breaks Leg, Keeps Running".
- 07/12/2012 On July 10, Frank Smoll was interviewed for an Associated Press article titled "Coaching your Own Kid Brings Pressures, Rewards," by Lisa Flam.
- 07/12/2011 Frank Smoll was interviewed for an article entitled "Too much organization? Spontaneity is disappearing from youth sports."
- 06/13/2011 Frank Smoll was interviewed by the Utica Observer-Dispatch
- 04/04/2011 Frank Smoll was interviewed (again) by FOX Sports Radio.
- 01/31/2011 The Mastery Approach to Parenting in Sports, developed by Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, was the feature topic of a recent Fox Sports Radio show
- 12/06/2010 Frank Smoll was interviewed by ABC News, What Would You Do? "Overbearing skater mom calls child 'pathetic, embarrassing'"
- 11/15/2010 The Mastery Approach to Coaching, developed by Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, was the feature topic of a recent Fox Sports Radio show.
- 10/06/2010 Frank Smoll and Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll were interviewed for an article entitled "The coach's approach: From the sports field to every day, local coaches share how to win the game of life"
- 09/07/2010 Frank Smoll was interviewed for an August 25 New York Times article that focused o the use of technology in youth sports. "Can't Make Your Child's Game? Break Out the Laptop,"
- 08/11/2010 Frank Smoll was interviewed for "Teacher or tyrant? What do you do when your kid's hard-driving coach - or ballet teacher - steps over the line into full-fledged cruelty?" for the Chicago Tribune.
- 07/20/2010 Frank Smoll was interviewed for the July issue of Orange County Parenting Magazine on the harmful effects of excessive parental pressure on young athletes
- 04/07/2010 Ron Smith and Frank Smoll were profiled in an article in the April issue of the APA magazine, Monitor on Psychology.
- 03/30/2010 Frank Smoll was interviewed for an article in online ESPN magazine. The piece focuses on parents who coach their own children in sports. "Next Level: For how long? The perils of parent coaching in girls youth basketball,"
- 02/02/2010 A study by Frank Smoll and Ron Smith was featured in the Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology Journal, the Digest Section.
- 12/01/2009 Ron Smith’s and Frank Smoll’s work with young athletes was featured in University Week.
- 11/17/2009 Coaches can shape young athletes' definition of success
- 04/27/2009 Ron Smith’s and Frank Smoll’s Youth Enrichment in Sports project now has its own web site, www.y-e-sports.com.
- 04/07/2008 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, who have been studying the youth sport experience and designing programs to improve it for a quarter of a century, are featured in the most recent University Week.
- 03/31/2008 Ron Smith and Frank Smoll were named Sports Ethics Fellows for 2008 by the Institute for International Sports, which labeled us as "pioneers in researching ways to improve youth sports."
- 11/01/2007 "Motivational coaching climate outscores winning for young athletes"
- 03/19/2007 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, were featured in the L.A. Times - "Sometimes the coaches could use a little coaching themselves,"
- 03/08/2007 Having fun, mastering skills outscore 'winning at all costs' for young athletes
- 05/15/2006 Ron Smith, Frank Smoll and their Youth Sports Social Systems project was highlighted in the "Featured Findings" section of The William T. Grant Foundation's 2005-2006 Annual Report.
- 10/09/1997 Washington Council for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, UW to launch statewide series of workshops for youth sport coaches