My research concerns how people from diverse sociocultural backgrounds make sense of the world, and how their lived experiences associated with culture, ethnicity, and race affect their psychopathology and addictive behaviors. Using a social ecological framework, I study intercultural contact (e.g., acculturation, discrimination), close social relationships (e.g., romantic relationship, intergenerational conflict), and intrapersonal characteristics (e.g., personality, cultural orientations) as determinants of psychopathology, such as alcohol (mis)use. I also am interested in measurement development and psychometrics, and metascience (i.e., research about the research process).
- Lui, P. P., Stringer, E., & Jouriles, E. N. (2021). Advancing knowledge on the health consequences of discrimination: The potential of virtual reality. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. Advance online publication.
- Lui, P. P., Gobrial, S., Pham, S., Adams, N., Giadolor, W., & Rollock, D. (2022). Open science and multicultural research: Some data, considerations, and recommendations. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. Advance online publication.
- Lui, P. P., Tsong, Y., Pham, S., Ramadan, B., Quezada, L., Del Rio, M., & Zamboanga, B. L. (2021). Explaining the alcohol immigrant paradox: Perspectives from Mexican American adults. Journal of Latinx Psychology, 9(2), 109–124.
- Lui, P. P. & Quezada, L. (2019). Associations between microaggression and adjustment outcomes: A meta-analytic and narrative review. Psychological Bulletin, 145, 45-78. doi:10.1037/bul0000172
- Lui, P. P. (2019). College alcohol beliefs: Measurement invariance, mean differences, and correlations with alcohol use outcomes across sociodemographic groups. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 66, 487-495. doi:10.1037/cou0000338
- Lui, P. P. (2019). Rethinking the acculturation gap-distress theory among Asian American emerging adults: Testing the bidirectional indirect effects. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 89, 627-639. doi:10.1037/ort0000322
- Lui, P. P. (2015). Intergenerational cultural conflict, mental health, and educational outcomes among Asian and Latino/a Americans: Qualitative and meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 141, 404-446. doi:10.1037/a0038449