I lead the interACTlab (International Adolescent Connection and Technology Laboratory). Our research focuses on how the social and affective developmental tasks of adolescence have been transformed by the digital era—particularly in understudied populations in international settings.
We collaborate with schools in Latin America to advance knowledge on adolescent development and technology use, and also apply developmental science to design school-based interventions to promote digital citizenship and healthy digital habits. This research-practitioner partnership allows us to better expand our understanding of, and respond to the needs of, young people in these key formational years in an increasingly digitalized world.
My long-term goal is to leverage my background in developmental psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and cross-cultural contexts to advance our understanding of how adolescent development is shaped by the risks and opportunities afforded by digital technologies.
- PSYCH 413 - Adolescent Development
- PSYCH 535 - Scientific Writing
- PSYCH 560 - Social Development in Adolescence
- September 18, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg and Katherine Foster awarded five-year $2.3M grant from National Institute of Mental Health
- July 13, 2023 Four UW Psychology professors participated in UW Faculty Field Tour of Washington State
- July 11, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg authored Seattle Times opinion piece about teens and social media
- July 10, 2023 Lucia Magis-Weinberg co-authors APA Health Advisory on social media use in adolescence
- March 30, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg quoted in PBS NewsHour "On our Minds" podcast
- February 3, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg featured in UW News Q&A
- January 20, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg Interviewed by KUOW about social media's effect on teens
- January 13, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg Quoted in GeekWire on Seattle Public Schools Social Media Lawsuit
- January 10, 2023 Lucía Magis-Weinberg Quoted in King5 Article on Adolescent Social Media Use
- August 25, 2022 Lucía Magis-Weinberg is quoted in a Health.com article about when to take a break from social media
- May 18, 2022 Lucía Magis-Weinberg was quoted in a Seattle Times article about Seattle Public Schools students organizing for change
- October 1, 2021 Lucia Magis-Weinberg spoke with King 5 News about potential negative impacts of Instagram on young people
- Magis-Weinberg, L. Muñoz Lopez, D., Gys, C., Berger, E.L & Dahl, R.E. (2023) Promoting Digital Citizenship through a school-based intervention in early adolescence in Perú (a pilot quasi experimental study). Children and Adolescent Mental Health.
- Barendse, M., Flannery, J. E., Cavanagh, C., Aristizabal, M., Becker, S. P., Berger, E., … Magis-Weinberg, L., … Pfeifer, J. H. (2022). Longitudinal change in adolescent depression and anxiety symptoms from before to during the COVID-19 pandemic: An international collaborative of 12 samples. Journal of Research in Adolescence. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jora.12781
- Ghai, S., Magis-Weinberg, L., Stoilova, M., Livingstone, S., & Orben, A. (2022). Social Media and Adolescent Well-being in the Global South. Current Opinion in Psychology, 101318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.copsyc.2022.101318
- Guazzelli Williamson, V., Berger, E. L., Barendse, M. E. A., Pfeifer, J. H., Dahl, R. E., & Magis-Weinberg, L. (2022). Socio-ecological Resilience Relates to Lower Internalizing Symptoms among Adolescents during the Strictest Period of COVID-19 Lockdown in Perú. Research on Child and Adolescent Psychopathology. 50(11):1429-1444. doi: 10.1007/s10802-022-00928-y
- McNeilly E.*, Saragosa-Harris, N.*, Mills, K., Dahl, R., & Magis-Weinberg, L. (2022). Reward processes during early stages of pubertal development and the association with internalizing symptoms in 9- and 10-year olds in the ABCD Study. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. 31;58:101172. doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2022.101172. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36368089; PMCID: PMC9649995
- Cheng, T., Magis-Weinberg, L., Guazzelli Williamson, V., Ladouceur, C.D., Whittle, S., Herting, M., Uban, K., Byrne, M.L., Barendse, M.E.A., Shirtcliff, E.A., & Pfeifer, J.H. (2021) A researcher’s guide to the measurement and modeling of puberty in the ABCD StudyⓇ at baseline. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 12:608575. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2021.608575
- Magis-Weinberg, L. (2021) Digital citizenship under lockdown: promoting the healthy use of technology for adolescents growing-up in Perú during COVID-19. Journal of Children and Media.
- Magis-Weinberg, L., Berger, E., Gys, C., & Dahl, R. (2021, February 15). Study Protocol: Transitions, a school based intervention to promote digital citizenship in low- and middle income secondary school students in Perú. doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/gzc82
- Magis-Weinberg, L., Gys, C., Berger, E., Domoff, S., & Dahl, R. (2021). Positive and Negative Online Experiences and Loneliness in Peruvian Adolescents During The COVID-19 Lockdown. Journal of Research in Adolescence. Special issue on The Impact of the COVID‐19 Pandemic on Adolescent Emotional, Social, and Academic Adjustment. 31: 717-733. https://doi.org/10.1111/jora.12666
- Magis-Weinberg, L., Suleiman A.B., & Dahl, R., (2021). Context, development and digital media: implications for very young adolescents in LMICs. Frontiers in Psychology. Special issue on Digital Media and Social Connection in the Lives of Children, Adolescents and Families. 12:632713. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2021.632713
- Magis-Weinberg, L. & Berger E. (2020) Mind Games: Technology and the Developing Teenage Brain. Frontiers for Young Minds. 8:76. doi: 10.3389/frym.2020.00076.