Ronald Smith, Ph.D.
Interests: Personality, stress & coping; cognitive-affective coping skills training; clinical personality assessment
|Do I accept and train new psychology graduate students in general?|
|Adult Clinical Social and Personality|
|Although I will not be accepting students of my own, I will remain active in the program and in my research, and I am happy to serve as a secondary advisor for students who share my interests.|
My major research interests are in personality, the study of anxiety, stress and coping, and in performance enhancement research and interventions. I have studied the effects of stress, coping, and social support on both psychological and physical well-being and have developed a coping skills training program called Cognitive-Affective Stress Management Training. Current research, done in collaboration with Yuichi Shoda (Social-Personality) involves intraperson relations between situational characteristics, cognitive appraisals, coping strategies, and emotional consequences. This involves the use of a daily stress and coping diary methodology. Collaborative work with Jonathan Bricker (see his bio) is also being planned.
I am no longer training students in sport psychology.
- Cervone, D., Shadel, W. G., Smith, R. E., & Fiori, M. (2006). Self-regulation: Reminders and suggestions from personality science. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 55 ,333-385.
- Chen, J. A., Fearey, E., & Smith, R. E. (2017). “That which is measured improves”: A theoretical and empirical review of self-monitoring in self-management and adaptive behavior change. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Mental Health, 1(2) (Online) DOI : 10.14302/issn.2474-9273.jbtm-16-1180
- Chen, J.A., Gilmore, A. K., Wilson, N. L., Smith, R. E., Quinn, K., Peterson, A. P., Fearey, E., & Shoda, Y. (2016). Enhancing stress management coping skills using induced affect and collaborative daily assessment. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. Published online, May 8, 2016.
- Ptacek, J. T., Smith, R. E., Raffety, B, & Lindgren, K. P. (2008). Coherence and transituational generality in coping: The unity and the diversity. Anxiety, Stress & Coping, 21, 155-172.
- Shoda, Y., & Smith, R. E. (2004). Conceptualizing personality as a cognitive-affective processing system: A framework for models of maladaptive behavior patterns and change. Behavior Therapy, 35, 147-165.
- Shoda, Y., Wilson, N. L., Chen, J., Gilmore, A. K., & Smith, R. E. (2013). Cognitive-Affective Processing System analysis of intra-individual dynamics in collaborative therapeutic assessment: Translating basic theory and research into clinical applications. Journal of Personality, 81, 554-568.
- Smith, R. E. (2006). Understanding sport behavior: A cognitive-affective processing systems approach.. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 18, 1-27.
- Smith, R. E., & Ascough, J. C. (2016). Promoting emotional resilience: Cognitive-Affective Stress Management Training. New York: Guilford Press.
- Smith, R. E., & Shoda, Y. (2012). The Cognitive-Affective Processing System: Understanding person, anxiety, mental toughness, and self-regulation in sport. In Y. P. Zinchenko & J. Hanin (Eds.), Sport psychology: On the way to the Olympic Games. Moscow State University Press.
- Smith, R. E., & Smoll, F. L. (2011). Cognitive-behavioral coach training: A translational approach to theory, research, and intervention. In J. K. Luiselli & D. D. Reed (Eds.), Behavioral sport psychology: Evidence-based approaches to performance enhancement (pp. 227-248). New York: Springer. doi 10.1007/978-1-4614-0070-7_14
- Smith, R. E., Fagan, C., Wilson, N. L., Chen, J., Corona, M., Nguyen, H., Racz, S., & Shoda, Y. (2011). Internet-based approaches to collaborative therapeutic assessment: New opportunities for professional psychologists. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 42, 494-504. DOI: 10.1037/a0025392.
- Smith, R. E., Leffingwell, T. R., & Ptacek, J. T. (1999). Can people remember how they coped? Factors associated with discordance between same-day and retrospective reports. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 76, 1050-1061.
- Smith, R. E., Shoda, Y., Cumming, S. P., & Smoll, F. L. (2009). Behavioral signatures at the ballpark: Intraindividual consistency of adults’ situation-behavior patterns and their interpersonal consequences. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 187-195.
- Smith, R. E., Smoll, F. L., & Cumming, S. P. (2007). Effects of a motivational climate intervention for coaches on children’s sport performance anxiety. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 29, 39-59.
- Weitlauf, J. C., Cervone, D., Smith, R. E., & Wright, P. M. (2001). Assessing generalization in perceived self-efficacy: Multi-domain and global assessments of the effects of self-defense training for women. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 27, 1683-1691.
- Yi, J. P., Smith, R. E., & Vitaliano, P. P. (2005). Stress-resilience, illness, and coping: A person-focused investigation of female athletes. Journal of Behavioral Medicine 28, 257-265..
- Yi-Frazier, J. P., Smith, R. E., Vitaliano, P. P., Yi, J., Mai, S., Hillman, M, & Weinger, K. (2010). A person-focused analysis of resilience resources and coping in patients with diabetes. Stress & Health: Journal of the International Society for the Investigation of Stress, 26, 51-60.
In the News
- 02/28/2017 Congratulations to Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, who launched a website for dissemination of their empirically-based coach and parent training programs in video format.
- 11/21/2016 Sports Psychology of Ron Smith and Frank Smoll featured in Monitor of Psychology, November 2016 Issue. "Put Me in Coach: How to Spark Kids' Love of Sports"
- 01/21/2015 Coaching means different things to different people. Ron Smith’s work is discussed in this article.
- 10/22/2014 Ron Smith talks about mental illness and mobile devices -
- 09/16/2014 Congratulations to Jessica Chen who recently received a 2014-15 GO-Map Dissertation Fellowship from the Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program.
- 09/10/2014 Frank Smoll was invited to conduct workshops for sport parents in a series of Innovative Adult Programs sponsored by the King County Library Systems.
- 04/02/2014 Ron Smith has been chosen by the American Psychological Association to represent APA in a series of Distinguished Scientific Contribution addresses to be given at the 2014 Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine.
- 10/16/2013 Danny O'Rourke was recently interviewed for an article regarding the Dawg Dash on Blog Down to Washington, called "How to Avoid Hitting the Wall."
- 12/12/2012 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith were interviewed for a Star Ledger article about sport parents.
- 10/03/2012 On October 1, 2012 , the coaching-behavior research of Ron Smith and Frank Smoll was featured in the Chronicle of Evidence-Based Mentoring.
- 03/07/2011 Lois McDermott and Ron Smith received Faculty Member of the Year awards…
- 01/31/2011 The Mastery Approach to Parenting in Sports, developed by Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, was the feature topic of a recent Fox Sports Radio show
- 11/15/2010 The Mastery Approach to Coaching, developed by Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, was the feature topic of a recent Fox Sports Radio show.
- 04/07/2010 Ron Smith and Frank Smoll were profiled in an article in the April issue of the APA magazine, Monitor on Psychology.
- 02/02/2010 A study by Frank Smoll and Ron Smith was featured in the Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology Journal, the Digest Section.
- 12/01/2009 Ron Smith’s and Frank Smoll’s work with young athletes was featured in University Week.
- 11/17/2009 Coaches can shape young athletes' definition of success
- 04/27/2009 Ron Smith’s and Frank Smoll’s Youth Enrichment in Sports project now has its own web site, www.y-e-sports.com.
- 04/14/2008 The UW Clinical Psychology program has received a number 1 ranking (tied with UCLA and Wisconsin) in the 2008 U.S. News and World Report ranking of more than 200 graduate programs.
- 04/11/2008 The UW Clinical Psychology program has received a number 1 ranking (tied with UCLA and Wisconsin) in the latest U.S. News and World Report ranking of more than 200 graduate programs.
- 04/07/2008 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, who have been studying the youth sport experience and designing programs to improve it for a quarter of a century, are featured in the most recent University Week.
- 03/31/2008 Ron Smith and Frank Smoll were named Sports Ethics Fellows for 2008 by the Institute for International Sports, which labeled us as "pioneers in researching ways to improve youth sports."
- 03/23/2008 Ron Smith and Frank Smoll were recently named Sports Ethics Fellows for 2008 by the Institute for International Sports, which labeled them as "pioneers in researching ways to improve youth sports."
- 02/15/2008 Congratulations to the Clinical Psychology Area... recipient of the 2007 Award for Innovative Practices in Graduate Education in Psychology, Presented by the APA Board of Educational Affairs!
- 11/05/2007 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith's research with young athletes who play for coaches who stress personal improvement, having fun and giving maximum effort was featured in University Week.
- 11/01/2007 "Motivational coaching climate outscores winning for young athletes"
- 03/19/2007 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith, were featured in the L.A. Times - “Sometimes the coaches could use a little coaching themselves,”
- 03/08/2007 Having fun, mastering skills outscore 'winning at all costs' for young athletes
- 05/15/2006 Ron Smith and Frank Smoll's Youth Sports Social Systems project was highlighted in the Featured Findings section of The William T. Grant Foundation's recently released 2005-2006 Annual Report.
- 05/15/2006 Ron Smith, Frank Smoll and their Youth Sports Social Systems project was highlighted in the "Featured Findings" section of The William T. Grant Foundation's 2005-2006 Annual Report.
- 12/13/2004 Frank Smoll and Ron Smith's work was mentioned in the “news and notes” column of the December 2 University Week.
- 02/23/2004 Ron Smith has agreed to take on the position of Director of Clinical Training starting in the Fall 2004.
- 10/11/2000 Ballet dancer injuries as common, severe as athletic injuries
- 10/09/1997 Washington Council for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, UW to launch statewide series of workshops for youth sport coaches
- 08/12/1997 Learning self-defense teaches women far more than just how to protect themselves, it kick starts self-esteem