Marsha Linehan, Ph.D.
Interests: Suicidal behaviors, Borderline Personality Disorder, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), dissemination of evidence-based treatments
|Do I accept and train new psychology graduate students in general?|
My entire career has been focused on the assessment and treatment of suicidal behaviors among individuals with multiple and severe disorders. I have developed a comprehensive cognitive behavioral treatment (Dialectical Behavior Therapy; DBT) that has reliably demonstrated its ability to reduce suicide attempts among individuals with borderline personality disorder. I am an established treatment development researcher with 30+ years of experience conducting behavioral treatment research with individuals at high risk for suicide and leading a research clinic that has already been successful at developing and disseminating effective treatments for suicidal behaviors. In addition, I have developed and researched assessment measures related to suicidal behavior (including the Reasons for Living Questionnaire and the Suicide Attempt Self-Injury Interview) as well as methods for disseminating DBT and other evidence-based therapies required to successfully treat chronically suicidal individuals. I have also published widely in the area of suicide, borderline personality disorder, and treatment development and outcome research.
- Coyle, T.N., Shaver, J.A., Linehan, M.M. (2018). On the Potential for Iatrogenic Effects of Psychiatric Crisis Services: The Example of Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Adult Women With Borderline Personality Disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. Vol 86 (2), 116-124.
- Linehan, M. M., Korslund, K. E., Harned, M. S., Gallop, R. J., Lungu, A., Neacsiu, A. D., McDavid, J., Comtois, K. A., & Murray-Gregory, A. M. (2015). Dialectical Behavior Therapy for High Suicide Risk in Borderline Personality Disorder: A Component Analysis. JAMA Psychiatry, 72(5), 475-82.
- McCauley, E., Berk, M.S., Asarnow, J., Adrian, M., Cohen, J. Korslund, K., Avina, C., Hughes, J., Harned, M., Gallop, R., Linehan, M.M. (2018). Efficacy of Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Adolescents at High Risk for Suicide: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 75(8): 1-10.
- Neacsiu, A. D., Eberle, J. W., Kramer, R., Wiesmann, T., & Linehan, M. M. (2014). Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills for Transdiagnostic Emotion Dysregulation: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 59, 40-51.
- Ward-Ciesielski, E.F, Tidik, J.A., Edwards, A.J., Linehan, M. M. (2017) Comparing Brief Interventions for Suicidal Individuals Not Engaged in Treatment: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of Affective Disorders. 222, 153-161
- Wilks, C, Yin, Q., Ang, S.Y., Matsumiya, B., Lungu, A.,Linehan, M.M., (2017) Internet-Delivered Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Skills Training for Suicidal and Heavy Episodic Drinkers: Protocol and Preliminary Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Research Protocol, 6(10), 207.
In the News
- 12/07/2016 Congratulations to Marsha Linehan for winning the 2017 Grawemeyer Award for Psychology!
- 12/01/2009 Marsha Linehan’s research plenary address at the NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) Convention became an article in NAMI’s Advocate magazine, September 2009.
- 11/27/2018 Marsha Linehan's work on suicidal behaviors, along with graduate Ursula Whiteside, is included in this HuffPost article on how to help someone who is contemplating suicide.
- 11/23/2016 Marsha Linehan’s work on Dialectical Behavior Therapy has been assisting this clinical social worker’s anxiety and fear caused by the recent elections.
- 11/16/2016 Marsha Linehan is in a documentary about a woman with Borderline Personality Disorder.
- 11/13/2017 Marsha Linehan is quoted in an article from The Guardian dealing with trauma from events in society.
- 11/12/2014 Anita Lungu, who works with Marsha Linehan, is the recipient of the 2014 American Psychological Association Dissertation Research Award!
- 11/10/2008 Marsha Linehan was honored by the Washington State Psychological Association as the 2008 Distinguished Psychologist.
- 10/26/2017 Marsha Linehan’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy is touted in this article from The Daily about self-destructive behaviors.
- 10/18/2018 Marsha Linehan’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy is lauded in this Allure article about treating Borderline Personality Disorder
- 10/16/2017 Marsha Linehan’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy helped improve the rehabilitation of minors at the Echo Glen Children’s Center, which is celebrating 50 years of youth rehab.
- 10/08/2018 Marsha Linehan explains how Radical Acceptance was ultimately rooted in Buddhist philosophy and translated into behavioral language, in this WHYY story about Chinese elders learning to “walk the middle path” to better mental health.
- 10/08/2014 Marsha Linehan and DBT are featured in this Huff Post article -
- 10/01/2018 Marsha Linehan’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Radical Acceptance are the topics of this Mumbai Mirror article.
- 10/01/2014 Marsha Linehan was recently featured in this article regarding the recent domestic violence issues in the NFL.
- 09/16/2004 Volunteers needed for borderline personality disorder treatment studies
- 09/14/2010 Marsha Linehan was featured in a Forbes Magazine article, September 13. "The mental health industry ignores the 35,000 people a year who commit suicide. A few researchers are trying to change that." "The Forgotten Patients,"
- 09/07/2009 Marsha Linehan was quoted in a recent LA Times article "Borderline personality disorder grows as healthcare concern"
- 08/09/2012 Marsha Linehan has been awarded the prestigious 2012 American Psychological Foundation (APF) Gold Medal Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Application of Psychology.
- 08/09/2011 Marsha Linehan’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy is among the “100 New Scientific Discoveries: Fascinating, Unbelievable and Mind Expanding Stories,” published by Time Inc.
- 08/08/2017 Marsha Linehan is featured in a story about a Chico clinic changing lives with the use of DBT.
- 08/05/2015 Congratulations to Marsha Linehan who will receive the 2015 President’s Award at the Silver Hill Hospital 6th Annual Fall Gala in New York City.
- 08/03/2018 Jackson Hole News and Guide explores use of Marsha Linehan’s DBT to build a “life worth living”
- 07/26/2011 Marsha Linehan was interviewed by NPR’s Neal Conan on the show Talk of the Nation in early July.
- 07/26/2004 Marsha Linehan was featured in a New York Times “Science Times” article on dialectical behavior therapy.
- 07/24/2017 Marsha Linehan’s Reasons for Living Inventory was referenced in this article on suicide prevention.
- 07/16/2014 Marsha Linehan’s work with DBT continues to capture headlines:
- 07/14/2009 Both Marsha Linehan and John Gottman made the “newsmakers” section of University Week.
- 07/13/2004 With Toughness and Caring, a Novel Therapy Helps Tortured Souls
- 07/11/2018 Marsha Linehan/DBT in Stanford Medicine Scope article "New suicide prevention clinical trial shows what works for teens"
- 07/09/2018 Marsha Linehan was quoted in this Psychology Today blog post about maladaptive patterns.
- 07/05/2006 Marsha Linehan, Katherine Comtois, Angela Murray, Milton Brown, Heidi Heard, Kathryn Korslund, Darren Tutek, Sarah Reynolds and Noam Lindenboim's research on women with borderline personality disorder, suicide, and dialectical behavior therapy that was recently highlighted by the UW Office of News and Information. “Women given specialized treatment half as likely to attempt suicide,”
- 06/30/2009 Marsha Linehan was featured in the NY Times Health column for her work on her 'very hot' treatment of borderline personality disorder.
- 06/25/2014 Marsha Linehan’s DBT work continues to make news nationally and internationally:
- 06/19/2013 Congratulations to Kay Yu Yuan Chai, one of the co-winners of the 2013 Guthrie Prize in Psychology.
- 06/19/2013 Congratulations to Marsha Linehan who recently received two awards.
- 06/15/2018 Marsha Linehan and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy praised by Seahawk Brandon Marshall in this News Tribune story.
- 06/07/2018 Marsha Linehan’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy is described in this Longevity article on available mental health approaches
- 06/05/2015 Marsha Linehan was recognized for her lifetime of contributions to Psychology and mental health research when she recently received the Association for Psychological Science James McKeen Cattell Fellow Award.
- 05/22/2018 Marsha Linehan and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) cited in two recent publications: The Bellevue Reporter and ADDitude online magazine.