My research concerns how people from diverse sociocultural backgrounds make sense of the world, and how their lived experiences associated with culture, ethnicity, and race affect their psychopathology and addictive behaviors. Using a social ecological framework, I study intercultural contact, close relationships, and intrapersonal characteristics as determinants of psychopathology, including alcohol and drug use. I am interested in measurement development and psychometrics, and metascience (i.e., research about the research process).
- Antiracism in Clinical Psychological Science | Cultural and Individual Diversity: Principles and Best Practices in Research and Applications
- Research Strategies in Clinical Psychology
- Psychology of Culture, Ethnicity, and Race
- November 2, 2023 Priscilla Lui served on APA working group to develop Journal Article Reporting Standards for Race, Ethnicity, and Culture
- October 4, 2023 Priscilla Lui featured in National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) newsletter
- September 20, 2023 Priscilla Lui received $2.5M R01 grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to study the effects of racial discrimination on alcohol and cannabis use
- August 22, 2023 Priscilla Lui quoted in Axios Seattle article on therapists of color
- July 13, 2023 Priscilla Lui quoted in NW Asian Weekly article on multigenerational travel
- June 1, 2023 Priscilla Lui received Emerging Professional Award from the Society for the Psychological Study of Culture, Ethnicity and Race
- February 14, 2023 Priscilla Lui & Colleague published in Assessment
- Lui, P. P. & Kamata, A. (2023). Harmonizing assessments of everyday racial discrimination experiences: The Multigroup Everyday Racial Discrimination Scale (MERDS). Assessment. Advance online publication.
- Lui, P. P., Gobrial, S., Stringer, E., & Jouriles, E. N. (2023). Effects of racial discrimination on stress, negative emotions, and alcohol craving: A registered report of a virtual reality experiment. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology.
- Lui, P. P., Stringer, E., & Jouriles, E. N. (2023). Advancing knowledge on the health consequences of discrimination: The potential of virtual reality. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 29(1), 96-105.
- Lui, P. P., Gobrial, S., Pham, S., Adams, N., Giadolor, W., & Rollock, D. (2022). Open science and multicultural research: Some data, considerations, and recommendations. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 28(4), 567-586.
- Lui, P. P., Tsong, Y., Pham, S., Ramadan, B., Quezada, L., Del Rio, M., & Zamboanga, B. L. (2021). Explaining the alcohol immigrant paradox: Perspectives from Mexican American adults. Journal of Latinx Psychology, 9(2), 109–124.
- Lui, P. P. & Quezada, L. (2019). Associations between microaggression and adjustment outcomes: A meta-analytic and narrative review. Psychological Bulletin, 145, 45-78. doi:10.1037/bul0000172
- Lui, P. P. (2019). College alcohol beliefs: Measurement invariance, mean differences, and correlations with alcohol use outcomes across sociodemographic groups. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 66, 487-495. doi:10.1037/cou0000338
- Lui, P. P. (2019). Rethinking the acculturation gap-distress theory among Asian American emerging adults: Testing the bidirectional indirect effects. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 89, 627-639. doi:10.1037/ort0000322
- Lui, P. P. (2015). Intergenerational cultural conflict, mental health, and educational outcomes among Asian and Latino/a Americans: Qualitative and meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 141, 404-446. doi:10.1037/a0038449