My research interests lie in assessing the influence of motherhood and/or social pressures to mother on women's lives. I am particularly interested in the way in which assisted reproductive technologies affect women's experience of motherhood. My most recent work examines the impact of egg donation on society through evaluation of clients' motivations in selecting specific egg donors as well as the motivations and experiences of women who have chosen to donate eggs. Emphasis is placed on the ways in which experiences with this technology and the experience of motherhood are affected by the woman's race, ethnicity, and social class.
- November 14, 2018 Nancy Kenney is featured in this Right as Rain article on Mom Shaming.
- March 20, 2018 Nancy Kenney and Alan Marlatt are lauded by Kathy Lustyk of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, for their mentorships, in this Embry-Riddle Newsroom article.
- June 23, 2017 Nancy Kenney was quoted in the Seattle Times about women choosing to have children, or not.
- October 25, 2016 Nancy Kenney was quoted in a New York Times article about the potential hazards of egg donation titled "Should Young Women Sell Their Eggs".
- April 27, 2009 The department was ranked #13 nationally by U.S. News & World Report rankings of graduate schools in 2009. (Up from #22 last year.)
- May 1, 2006 Nancy Kenney as Director of the Women Studies Graduate Program, oversaw the granting of the first doctoral degrees in the program.
- August 24, 2004 Women who have donated eggs sought for national study
- Kenney, N. J., & McGowan, M. L. Egg donation compensation: Ethical and legal challenges. Medicolegal and Bioethics, 2014, in press.
- Chang, S.-R., Kenney, N. J., & Chao, Y.-M. Y. Transformation in self-identity amongst Taiwanese women in late pregnancy: A qualitative study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, in press (2009).
- McGowan, M. L., & Kenney, N. J. Egg donors’ knowledge of donation outcomes and attitudes towards disposition of their eggs. In preparation
- Kenney, N. J. & McGowan, M. L. Looking Back: Egg donors’ retrospective evaluations of their motivations, expectations, and experiences during their first donation cycle. Fertility & Sterility, in press (published on line November 2008)
- Chang, S.-R., Chao, Y.-M. & Kenney, N. J. I am a woman and I_m pregnant: Body image of women in Taiwan during the third trimester of pregnancy. Birth: Issues in Perinatal Care, 2006, 33, 147-153.