- Name: Center for Suicide Prevention and Recovery
- Faculty Advisor: Katherine Anne (Kate) Comtois
- Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Area(s): Adult Clinical
- Contact Person: Cameron Casey
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (206) 744-1752
DescriptionDirected by Dr. Kate Comtois, the Center for Suicide Prevention and Recovery (CSPAR) mission is to further the field of suicide prevention and treatment through research as well as training, consultation, and other dissemination and implementation initiatives. Visit www.uwcspar.org to learn more.
We are seeking students to support our New NIMH-funded R01 trial: “Using Search Engine Data for Detection and Early Intervention in Suicide Prevention” to determine if online search behavior can predict near-term suicide risk. This online case-crossover study utilizes gold-standard retrospective assessment of suicidal ideation and behavior, prospective surveys of suicide risk, and Google Takeout data. This study has the potential to identify warning signs from search and YouTube activity that predict when suicide risk is increasing and lay the groundwork for innovative pathways to suicide prevention that are also ethical, feasible, and acceptable.
Minimum Requirements• Highly attentive to detail
• Interest in learning all aspects of research
• Ability to work independently and responsibly
• Strong organizational skills
• Completion of a research methods course in psychology, the social sciences, sciences, or medicine—or junior standing in the Psychology major
• Completion of clinical or abnormal psychology course preferred