|Do I accept and train new psychology graduate students in general?|
|Am I accepting new graduate students in the upcoming year?|
|I am accepting graduate students in the 2019-2020|
|Developmental Social and Personality|
My research focuses on the following topics within social cognitive development: gender nonconformity in childhood, prosocial behavior, understanding status and inequality, prejudice and discrimination.
- Horwitz, S., Shutts, K., & Olson, K.R. Social class differences produce social group preferences. Developmental Science, 17, 991-1002.
- Olson, K.R., Durwood, L., DeMeules, M., & McLaughlin, K. A. (2016). Mental health of transgender children who are supported in their identities. Pediatrics, 137 (3), 1-8.
- Olson, K.R., Key, A. C., & Eaton, N. R. Gender cognition in transgender children. Psychological Science, 26, 467-474.
In the News
- 12/18/2017 Kristina Olson’s Trans Youth Project is cited in this Bustle article about Canadian transgender teenagers avoiding health care.
- 12/12/2017 The Brown Daily Herald highlighted Kristina Olson’s recent Michael S. Goodman ’74 Memorial Lecture Series talk, When Sex and Gender Collide: Early Childhood Gender Diversity
- 12/05/2018 Kristina Olson and her Trans Youth Project are the subjects of this Seattle Met article.
- 11/01/2018 Kristina Olson has been chosen by Seattle Magazine as one of Seattle’s Most Influential People in 2018
- 10/25/2017 Congratulations to Kristina Olson, who just received a sizeable, 5 year grant from the National Institutes of Health for her work titled Views of Gender in Early Childhood.
- 10/16/2013 The Foundation for Personality and Social Psychology just announced that Kristina Olson was selected to be one of this year’s honorees for the Sage Young Scholar Award.
- 10/12/2018 Congratulations to Kristina Olson, who has been selected as a 2018 MacArthur Fellow!
- 09/22/2017 Congratulations to Anne Fast, mentored by Kristina Olson, who just won the 2017 APF/COGDOP Graduate Research Scholarship.
- 09/22/2014 Congratulations to Assistant Professor Kristina Olson, who will receive the prestigious 2015 Early Career Award from ISCON (International Social Cognition Network).
- 09/12/2016 Congratulations to James Rae, who is advised by Kristina Olson, who just received the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP) Student Publication Award for his paper: Exposure to Racial Out-Groups and Implicit Race Bias in the United States.
- 08/31/2017 Congratulations to Kristina Olson for recently received grants and gifts!
- 07/06/2018 Kristina Olson’s Trans Youth Project is cited in this Atlantic article "When Children Say They're Trans."
- 06/13/2018 Congratulations to Arianne Eason (PhD, Psychology, 2018), who is featured in this Art & Sciences Perspectives Newsletter article.
- 06/07/2017 Congratulations to Anne Fast, who is mentored by Kristina Olson, who just won the Graduate School Presidential Dissertation Fellowship.
- 06/05/2015 Kristina Olson's exciting new research on transgender and gender non-conforming youth was featured on a recent PBS NewsHour "Is gender identity biologically determined?"
- 05/04/2018 Kristina Olson discusses the inspiration that led to her research on transgender children in this Seattle Times article
- 04/17/2015 Kristina Olson and the TransYouth Project are featured in the latest issue of Arts & Sciences Perspectives newsletter
- 04/16/2018 Kristina Olson wins NSF Waterman Award, becomes the first UW faculty member to receive the award in its history. Congratulations, Kristina!
- 04/13/2018 Congratulations to Lily Durwood, who works with Kate McLaughlin and Kristina Olson, for winning a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship!
- 04/10/2015 Kristina Olson's work is helping families find the answers they need.
- 04/06/2015 Kristina Olson is helping parents support their children to be their truest self
- 04/02/2015 Here is an article from The Daily about Kristina Olson’s research on gender cognition in transgender children and how it disproves older claims about kids outgrowing their "gender confusion.”
- 03/26/2014 Kristina Olson and colleagues from Yale and the University of Pennsylvania recently did a study that discovered how preschoolers from different countries often don’t view the stealing of ideas as negative.
- 03/19/2014 Karalyn Holten and Sarah Colombo, both juniors in Kristina Olson’s lab, just won Mary Gates Fellowships.
- 03/16/2016 Congratulations to Kristina Olson who was recognized by APS with the 2016 Janet Taylor Spence Award for Transformational Early Career Contributions!
- 03/02/2016 Kristin Olson and Katie McLaughlin’s study on the mental health of transgender children has been published in the journal Pediatrics and has received wide spread media coverage in UW Today, the Seattle Times, the Guardian, and the Associated Press, to name a few.